Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Banking Issue


Thursday, Feb 4th, I logged on to Bank of America to do my online banking. I identified a debit amount that was not authorized. It was only $39.97 but still...

I contacted the bank and they said they could not do anything about the transaction, until it posted to my account.

I was trying to make sure it would NOT post to my account and prevent other occurances of this happening.

They suggested I contact the vendor "CheckOutKey.com" and see what they could tell me. Their website was bogus, so I knew I was in trouble.

I contacted the phone number for "CheckOutKey.com" that was listed on my banking transaction. The response I got was "We are an international membership services organization". I asked "What does that mean?" She said "We do the billing services for a lot of companies" I said "Like who?" She said "Mostly adult web sites". I said "I know that it is not me now"

OH BROTHER!!

Friday, the transaction had still not cleared the bank

Saturday, Doug and I went in to the bank to get more details.
The bank representative was able to determine that it was my debit card that was compromised...not Doug's. The bank voided my debit card and reissued me a new one.

Monday, the transaction finally cleared the bank with an additional fee of $1.20.
Apparantly this was an international processing fee, because the business is in the United Kingdom.

Tuesday, I called the fraud department at Bank of America and they started the fraud investigation process. Our bank has temporarily credited our account with both transaction amounts. I was told the investigation could take up to 6 months.

Stay tuned for further accounts of this banking saga.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I have similar trouble.
I found this transaction on the credit card statement. Transaction listed 2/5/10 $39.97.
So, I called the 'checkoutkey.com' phone# listed in my statement.
Somebody used my card# for membership. I explained it's not me. And requested cancellation.
The representative said he cancelled it and the fee will be refunded in my account.
I will check the transaction for next couple days and change my credit card account# after check the refund.
Should I call my bank soon?
Please give your update, too.
Thanks.
Mr.I'm in trouble, too.

Anonymous said...

I have the same problem - $39.97 from checkoutkey.com from my Chase debit card

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm Mr.I'm in trouble too who posted above 1st comment.
Here's my update.
I got refund(credit) from checkoutkey.com on my credit card, $39.97. I checked it online.
I went to Chase bank and requested new credit card.
Good luck for all.

Anonymous said...

Dorkgronunk
[url=http://healthplusrx.com/ephedra-free-weight-loss]ephedra free weight loss[/url]
axoseimmera